Top Stories

This spring quarter, the Graduate Student Resource Center and Career Services welcomes a new Graduate Career Peer Advisor, ​Ida Taghavi. Ida is a native Californian who is currently a ​PhD student in ​Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology at UCSB. We chatted with her about her research interests, her ​passion for mentorship, and her love of yoga!

Tuesday, March 27th, 2018 - 3:44pm

ida-featured-image

HER STORY

I grew up in Orange County, California with my parents, older brother, and beloved chihuahua. My parents immigrated from Iran to the U.S. in the 1970s, which makes me a first generation Iranian-American. I took my first psychology class in high school and I fell in love with the subject. I continued on to study psychology at San Francisco State University, Regents University London, and Teachers College, Columbia University. Apart from my involvement in research, I took various counseling positions at local non-profit organizations that focused on providing resources and promoting resilience for inner-city, at-risk individuals. I am currently pursuing similar interests as a doctoral student in clinical psychology at UCSB.

HER RESEARCH INTERESTS

My research interests in clinical psychology include understanding the factors of risk and resilience in underserved populations, as well as the development, implementation, and dissemination of community-based prevention and intervention. I am particularly interested in the role of mindfulness and mindfulness-based interventions in promoting resilience and well-being.

FUN FACTS

When I am not in school or working, I am usually doing yoga (or teaching yoga), running or biking outdoors, singing and playing music, traveling, or finding good coffee and food with people.

HER ​ROLE AS THE CAREER PEER

As the new Grad Career Peer, I am excited to connect and collaborate with departments across campus and develop workshops, programs, and events to assist graduate students in their career development. I have always had a love for mentorship and professional development, and I recently was a teaching assistant for a class on educational and vocational guidance. I am happy to help my peers in this way!

Welcome, Ida!