Top Stories

Next up in our 2022 Incoming Grad Series is Emma Duge, who is entering the PhD program in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. Learn about her background, how she came to study mosquitoes, and some fun facts about her--including her love of games!

By Chava Nerenberg, Graduate Programming Assistant
Tuesday, September 20th, 2022 - 11:51am

The 2022 Incoming Grad Series continues, featuring backstories and fun facts about 8 students who are part of the entering class at UCSB.

Emma Duge is entering the PhD program in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB). Raised in Napa Valley, CA, Emma earned her Bachelor's degree from Colgate University in Molecular Biology. Read on to learn more about her background, her research on mosquitoes, and some fun facts--including her love of board games!

THE STORY

I was born in southern California and raised in Napa Valley. I spent my undergraduate years at Colgate University in upstate New York studying Molecular Biology and will be continuing my education in the field through UCSB's Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology (MCDB) PhD program. My research will be focusing on mosquito biology and behavior, and more specifically how mosquitoes locate hosts via sensory cues.

Ever since I was little I have had a passion for science and have dreamed of utilizing my skills to help others. During my undergraduate studies, I was awarded a grant to travel to rural Tanzania and volunteer at a medical clinic to observe and discuss the effects of vector-borne illnesses with the individuals who are afflicted by them first-hand. The experience ignited my interest in vector-borne diseases and made clear to me the importance of finding solutions to control and prevent their spread. Since then, I have worked in four different labs conducting research on some of the world's deadliest vectors including ticks, sandflies, and mosquitoes, with the goal of developing ways to inhibit their ability to transmit pathogens.

After graduating from Colgate University in 2020, I received a post-baccalaureate fellowship to conduct research at the National Institutes of Health in Washington, D.C. for two years. While there, it became clear that I wanted to pursue this type of research as a career and decided that the first step I needed to take to achieve this was to apply to PhD programs!

WHY UCSB

UCSB's MCDB program provides everything that I was looking for in a PhD program. Most importantly, I wanted to research mosquito host-seeking mechanisms which is exactly what Dr. Craig Montell, my advisor, studies. Additionally, the faculty and graduate students that I met as a prospective student were incredibly friendly and I felt that I would be supported by those around me during my time here. Finally, the location couldn't be beat, not only because of the beauty and outdoor activities that the area has to offer, but also because I am able to be much closer to my family now!

RESEARCH INTERESTS

My interests have always generally been related to vector biology but have varied quite a bit within the field. Years ago, I spent a summer working in the Young Lab at UCSB studying tick ecology and that was my first introduction to the field of research. The following year, I participated in a domestic study program through my university that allowed me to conduct six months of research for my Major thesis at the National Institutes of Health. While there I studied the vector-pathogen interface of the leishmania parasite, which is transmitted by sandflies and is the causative agent of leishmaniasis. After graduating, I began my fellowship at the NIH in a lab that studied mosquito saliva and how specific salivary proteins are involved in pathogen transmission. For my PhD, I have been fortunate enough to land in my dream lab which focuses on mosquito sensory systems. I can't wait to see what interesting projects I am able to develop here!

FUN FACTS

Something that surprises people is that I still don't know how to swim! I absolutely love the ocean, going to beaches, lakes, rivers, and being around water in general, but I just have to bring a pool noodle to float on. In my free time I love to play all sorts of games: card games, board games, outdoor games. I even helped develop a board game with my friend when the pandemic started! I have also been having a great time exploring Santa Barbara since moving here and I've spent lots of time going to beaches, thrifting, listening to local bands play, and checking out the local golf courses!

I enjoy being active in nature and engaging in activities like hiking, kayaking, disc golf and paddleboarding. My favorite video game of all time is Super Smash Bros and I love playing board games like backgammon.

Welcome, Emma!

Be sure to subscribe to the GradPost and check back each day until the start of classes for the continuation of our Incoming Grad Series.