Top Stories

The Graduate Division is excited to welcome our new ​Funding Peer Advisor, ​Liliana Garcia. Lily will work to help graduate students search for funding opportunities and improve their financial literacy. Read on to find out more about ​​Lily!

By Graduate Division Staff
Thursday, August 19th, 2021 - 9:00am

The Graduate Division is excited to welcome our new Funding Peer Advisor, Liliana Garcia. Liliana will work to help graduate students search for funding opportunities and improve their financial literacy. Read on to find out more about Liliana!

HER STORY

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. I lived in LA until I moved to Irvine to attend UCI for undergraduate studies. In 2020 I graduated with a bachelor of science in Physics and a California teaching credential. I have attended one full year of remote instruction at UCSB for my Ph.D. Even with all the unexpected challenges we have faced, I am excited to share my knowledge as the new Funding Peer with my fellow grad students. I hope to make this unpredictable time easier for those looking for funding.

HER RESEARCH

I am currently working on an education Ph.D. with an interest in STEM. My research focuses on the ideas of belonging and motivation. I am interested in looking at students' sense of belonging within STEM courses and how it ultimately affects their motivation within the classroom. I think that my own experiences in science have shaped my research interest.

FUN FACTS

I love to dance. As an undergrad at UCI, I danced in the Ballet Folklorico group on campus. It was definitely one of my favorite things to do. I loved the feeling of being able to perform dances from different regions of Mexico. I enjoy baking and making sweets to share. In a different life, I would be a professional baker. My favorite recipe to try to perfect is definitely chocolate chip cookies!

HER ROLE AS A PEER

Throughout the year, I'll be hosting several workshops on topics such as finding funding, budgeting, taxes, and other financial matters. I'll also be available for individual appointments. I am dedicated to assisting you with your financing requirements in any way I can. Please do not hesitate to contact me (fundingpeer@graddiv.ucsb.edu). I am happy to help in the ways that I can.

Welcome, Liliana!