Top Stories

The Graduate Division is excited to welcome our new ​Diversity & Outreach Peer Advisor, ​Yvette Ramirez. Yvette will work to create representative spaces for historically underserved student populations. Read on to find out more about ​​Yvette!

By Graduate Division Staff
Tuesday, July 6th, 2021 - 9:00am

Yvette Welcome Announcement

The Graduate Division is excited to welcome our new Diversity & Outreach Peer Advisor, Yvette Ramirez. Yvette will work to create representative spaces for historically underserved student populations. Read on to find out more about Yvette!

HER STORY

I grew up in Sacramento, CA and lived there until I turned 18 years old and moved to Santa Barbara. As a child of Mexican immigrants, it is also important for me to nurture my Latinx roots. One way I attempt to do this is by continuing to speak Spanish. Although I am very much a Californian, I enjoy learning about various customs and cultures. I have experience learning about systemic barriers faced by diverse students in academia, both from personal experiences and from academic discussions. I am happy to be able to meet with and support students as they navigate graduate school.

HER RESEARCH

My research interests include accessibility to mental health services for underserved populations, international affairs, and resilience after trauma. My current research explores the experiences of survivors who witnessed domestic violence during their childhood and the influences such trauma may have on their intimate relationships.

FUN FACTS

I enjoy adrenaline inducing activities. So far, I have been zip lining, bungee jumping, and skydiving. I am looking forward to my next adventure. I am also a huge foodie and enjoy trying new food spots (although I'll admit this is hard to to do in a small place like Santa Barbara). The taco trucks in Oxnard are worth the drive in my opinion. I like to create music playlists on Spotify and am always open to new song suggestions! I like to dance as well and was in Aztec dancing all throughout high school. I did a year of freestyle dance as well. I also write poetry/spoken word as a creative outlet. More recently, I purchased a guitar and would like to learn how to play it before I graduate from my program. I am really getting into plants and tea as well and am open to recommendations.

HER ROLE AS A PEER

My interests in graduate school and my career are largely motivated by my desire to help others in ways that are conscious of inclusivity and social justice frameworks. Mentors and peers have played a crucial role in my ability to grow personally and professionally. In this role, I hope to continue to grow while assisting graduate students on their own journeys as the Diversity & Outreach Peer Advisor. I will be coordinating several events throughout the year to serve a variety of underrepresented students (ie. BIPOC students, LGBTQ+ students, low-income students, undocumented students, non-traditional students, students with disabilities, and others). I'll also be available for one-on-one advising. Please do not hesitate to contact me, I am happy to help in the ways that I can or to just chat!

Welcome, Yvette!