Top Stories

Solaire Denaud is the Graduate Student Assistant at the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD). Solaire's role is to support queer and trans graduate students in all phases of their education, advocate for and with them within UCSB structures, and create resources/events based on students' needs. Read on to find out more about Solaire and the RCSGD!

By Graduate Division Staff
Monday, January 25th, 2021 - 8:30am

Solaire Denaud RCSGD banner

The Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity (RCSGD) at UC Santa Barbara facilitates the intersectional inclusion and representation of the identities, experiences, and concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, and asexual (LGBTQIA+) students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members. RCSGD staff and volunteers, in collaboration with campus partners, promote the celebration, development, scholarship, and success of the LGBTQIA+ community through advocacy, education, programming, and resource creation and referral. The RCSGD uses intersectional and social justice lenses to work toward trans justice, queer justice, racial justice, and other forms of justice by examining and combating oppressive systems, including white supremacy, heterosexism, misogyny, patriarchy, and xenophobia.

SOLAIRE'S STORY

(Pronouns: she/her/hers) I am a second year doctoral student in the Comparative Literature Program at UC Santa Barbara. On campus, I act as both QTGSU (Queer and Trans Graduate Student Union)'s Event Coordinator and RCSGD (Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity)'s Graduate Student Assistant. I chose to be involved in UCSB's Queer life as I wish to cultivate spaces for my community--and more particularly Black Queer and Trans students--but also because I strongly believe that community building facilitates resilience. Prior to entering Graduate School in Santa Barbara, I was studying Environmental Philosophy in the French National Museum of Natural History/La Sorbonne (Paris) and practicing scientific drawing as a hobby. Raised in a French and Haitian family, I enjoy discovering new Black writers and illustrators. Most of my free time is dedicated to reading, drawing while listening to music, experimenting Vegan cuisine and trying to find a way to meet an actual mermaid.

HER ROLE AS A GRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANT

As the RCSGD's Graduate Student Assistant, my role consists of advocating for Queer and Trans graduate students as well as supporting them in their education. More precisely, I organize events to enhance solidarity and community building among Queer and Trans Graduate Students, such as the RCSGD's Mentorship Program. Events I organize go from relaxing and fun events to more social-justice-oriented spaces. Partnering with other organizations on campus is fully part of my job, as it allows for a more engaging and stimulating queer life. During COVID-19, a significant part of my work has been to collaborate with departments in order to create a better environment for both graduate and undergraduate Queer and Trans students. For instance, one of my main projects is to provide language departments with resources to teach inclusive writing. Being RCSGD's Graduate Student Assistant, my role is mainly to listen to students' needs and to create resources/events accordingly. Therefore, if you are a Queer and/or Trans graduate student, do not hesitate to contact me to plan an event or address any concerns in your department.

Welcome, Solaire!