Top Stories

On April 21, the Graduate Division hosted undergraduate scholars from across California for an eventful day designed to allow scholars to learn more about research, admissions, and grad resources, as well as to encourage them to pursue a graduate degree here at UCSB.

By Ana Romero, Diversity & Outreach Peer
Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 - 2:00pm

mcnair-scholars-banner-image

Scholars from CSU-Fullerton, UC San Diego, UC Riverside, and CSU-Channel IslandsOn April 21, UCSB's Graduate Division hosted undergraduate McNair Scholars from California State University-Fullerton and the University of California, San Diego; Mellon May Scholars from the University of California, Riverside; and Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Scholars from California State University-Channel Island. The eventful day was organized to allow scholars to learn more about faculty and departmental research, the admissions process, graduate school resources, and to encourage scholars to pursue a graduate degree here at UC Santa Barbara.

After a welcome by Graduate Division Associate Dean Mary Hegarty, scholars were taken on a campus tour that acquainted them with key locations frequented by graduate students, such as the Graduate Student Resource Center, Graduate Student Association lounge, and the Library. Following the tour, scholars had the opportunity to have lunch with faculty members and graduate students from their programs of interest, including Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology; Sociology; Mathematics; Counseling, Clinical, and School Psychology; Marine Science; History; English; Economics; Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology; and Dynamical Neuroscience.

The day culminated with the visiting McNair Scholars attending the final round of the 2017 Grad Slam at Corwin Pavilion. Here, the scholars learned about the various types of research being conducted by current graduate students.

After the trip ended, scholars shared their perspectives and overall experiences visiting UCSB. Johnathan Farmer, a UCSD McNair Scholar, commented on what he found most valuable about the trip: "I would have to say how welcomed I felt by [Graduate Division Director of Admissions] Walter [Boggan] and the entire staff. Having the opportunity to speak with first-year students like Dave Hales as well as Professors Mya Rossin-Slater and Dick Startz gave valuable information on what position I need to put myself in now to increase my chances of being accepted to grad school at UCSB."

Marialexia Zaragoza, a CSU-Fullerton McNair Scholar, shared that her "favorite part of the day at UCSB was being able to meet individually with current grad students. I had the chance to me a graduate student who came in directly from her undergrad. I know I want to go into a Ph.D. program straight from my undergrad, and meeting someone who was on the same page as me made me feel like earning a Ph.D. was an attainable goal."

The day would not have been a success without the assistance of Graduate Division Associate Dean Dr. Mary Hegarty, Director of Admissions and Outreach Walter Boggan, Assistant Director of Outreach Ethny Stewart, Assistant Director of Diversity Initiatives & UC Leads Systemwide Michele Johnson, and the Diversity ​& Outreach Peers Ana Romero and Danny Meza.