(go back to main New Students page)

On-Campus Parking

Parking on campus can be a little complicated. Read below to see what kind of on-campus permit for which you may qualify. See the Transportation and Parking Services Interactive Map for where you can park with different permits.

  • Graduate Night & Weekend Pass: Free! Allows parking on campus Monday through Friday from 5 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. the next morning, and all day Saturday and Sunday.

The following passes are also available to some graduate students:

  • Employed Graduate Student Parking Pass: Graduate students employed on campus 45% or more of their time qualify for an annual staff B permit. The applicant must show the required amount of time on the University Personnel Payroll System (PPS), or be listed on the Graduate Division Fellowship List.
  • Student Commuter: Currently enrolled students who reside more than two miles from campus are eligible for a C parking permit. A utility bill, lease agreement, or BARC statement is required as proof of residence. Allows you to park at all times in student lots or nights and weekends in most other lots.

Students without a permit can park in any visitor parking lot. You can choose to pay an hourly or a daily rate.

There is some limited street parking in Isla Vista. Some students also risk parking in the Goleta Beach parking lot, though beware you may be ticketed.


Biking is the main mode of transportation for UCSB students. If you live within two miles of campus, you cannot get a day parking permit (unless you work more than 45% time), so bring a bike with you or look for a used one on Craigslist.

Bus and Other

  • Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP): Designed to promote the use of alternative modes of transportation, membership benefits include a limited amount of complimentary parking, unlimited use of the MTD bus system, and enrollment in the Emergency Ride Home Program.
  • Free bus passes with Santa Barbara MTD: Your student fees cover bus transportation in fall, winter, and spring quarters. In order to qualify for free bus rides, you must be currently enrolled and get a bus sticker at the beginning of each quarter from the Associated Students Ticket Office Window at the University Center or the Registrar's Office, located on the first floor of the Student Affairs and Administrative Services Building (SAASB). ​Then just show your student ID with current registration sticker to ​the bus driver as you board.
  • UCSB Express Bus: Connects Goleta, IV, and UCSB with downtown Santa Barbara
  • Santa Barbara County Transit Services: Information about buses, trains, and shuttles in the local area


Students, faculty, and staff can join Zipcar ​at a discounted rate. Zipcars are located in IV or on campus in lots 23 and 14.