Anxious about tax season? What to do to prepare

by Noreen Balos, Funding Peer
Friday, February 01, 2019 8:45 AM

The new year and new quarter have started, which also signals a new tax season! By now, you are probably getting email notices or forms in the mail required for your tax filing. So what do you need? What else should you be waiting for or asking about to be ready? Below are suggested steps to prepare.

A​LL STUDENTS​ should get relevant documents together, as applicable to you​:

  • W-2 (compensatory or earned income sources). Download at UCPath Portal and UC AtYourService. NOTE: In 2018, UCSB used AtYourService for half of the year and then transitioned to UCPath in the fall. Therefore, you will need the W-2 from each system.
  • 1098-T (non-compensatory or free income: fellowships, etc.) 1098-T web site
  • 1095-B (Health Coverage) will be mailed in February. Click here for more details.
  • 1098-E (Student Loan Interest Payments Statement) Your student loan company should provide you with the 1098-E if you have been making payments in 2018.

Specific to ​INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS, the following documents will support you in completing the tax filing:

  • Visa/Immigration Status information
  • Passport
  • Form DS-2019, if J status or Form I-20, if F status
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), if you have been assigned one
  • Address information (Current U.S. and Foreign Address)
  • U.S. Entry and Exit Dates for the current and past visits to the U.S.
  • Forms 1042-S**, and/or 1099-Misc (other income), if you received any
  • Copy of prior federal income tax return, if you filed a return last year
  • Bank account number and routing number, or check, for direct deposit

Resources for downloading TAX FILING FORMS - There are Federal tax forms AND State tax forms.

Federal forms are available at Internal Revenue Service Website: IRS Downloadable Tax Forms - Primarily:

  • 1040EZ (short form)
  • 1040 (standard form)
  • or 1040A (long form)

State forms are available at the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) - Primarily:

  • 540 2EZ (short form)
  • 540 (standard form)
  • or 540 NR (non-resident or partial-resident of California)

CONSIDER TAX FILING SUPPORT – And be sure to read information (e.g. IRS Publications), ask ​questions, ​get help:

  • UCSB VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Association)
  • United Way of Santa Barbara VITA Tax 
  • IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (local): questions only, NOT tax preparation. 1332 Anacapa St. Call to make an appointment: 805-564-7555. 
  • IRS Phone Assistance for Individuals: 800-829-1040, Monday– Friday, 7am-7pm



Feb. 7, 2019 at 1pm - 2pm in SRB 2154 RSVP Here.
Mar. 7, 2019 at 1pm - 2pm in SRB 2154 RSVP Here.