Funding resources for UCSB grad students

By Stephanie Griffin, Funding Peer Advisor
Monday, February 29, 2016 11:20 AM

Central Campus Fellowships – Funds are awarded to students based on merit and may include any of the following: tuition and fees, non-resident supplemental tuition, health insurance, and stipend. The majority of central campus fellowships are based on nomination by departments, but a few are applied to directly by grad students. These applications are often due around March each year. Applications are available on the Graduate Division page for Forms and Petitions, under “Graduate Division Fellowship and Grant Applications.”

Extramural Funding – UCSB has access to a variety of databases. Students are able to register an account on Pivot for free using their email addresses. UCLA’s graduate and postgraduate funding search engine, GRAPES, also provides some assistance. GrantForward is a funding database specifically for researchers. The Foundation Center’s website hosts a database focused on philanthropic funds.

Conference Travel Grants – For grad students attending conferences at which they’re presenting original research, two sources of campus funding may be available: the GSA Conference Travel Grant for up to $200/academic year for any graduate student and the Academic Senate Doctoral Student Travel Grant, which is available to doctoral students once during their academic careers for varying amounts depending on conference location.

Emergency Relief Funds – Some organizations at UCSB allocate funds to helping students in times of financial stress. For financial emergencies, see requirements for the GSA Emergency Relief Grant. For medical emergencies posing a financial hardship, check out the Student Medical Emergency Relief Fund, the Legends of Student Health Fund, and the Orion Fund for eligibility and application information.

For one-on-one advising sessions, please contact the Graduate Division’s Funding Peer Advisor.