Looking for a job next year? UCSB seeks multiple Graduate Student Assistants for a new undergraduate student success program focused on underrepresented minority (URM) and low-income students.
The new Opening New Doors to Accelerating Success (ONDAS) Student Success Center – a federally funded center on campus – is seeking dedicated, collaborative, and enthusiastic graduate students to join them in their commitment to provide both access and excellence in undergraduate education. The appointments are funded by a five-year Department of Education Title V Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) grant. The Graduate Student Assistants will support the center through programs and activities that lead to academic success and graduation.
Graduate students hired for these positions will provide academic (discipline-specific) tutoring and mentoring, develop and present workshops, and organize panel presentation on various topics throughout the year. Graduate Student Assistants may be assigned special projects, student outreach, and partnering with other campus resources.
ONDAS is looking for Assistants with a specialization and/or expertise in the following fields: Economics, Biological Sciences (MCDB/EEMB), Psychological and Brain Sciences, Math, Physics, Anthropology, History, Film Studies, and Communication. Experience in teaching or TAing, curriculum and program development, and/or learning and interest in supporting underserved populations is preferred.
- Hold individual tutoring and mentoring appointments with undergraduate students
- Develop and facilitate academic content-specific workshops
- Along with the ONDAS Student Success Center Director, carry out special projects and coordinate partnerships as necessary to enhance student outcomes and academic success.
- Assist in the continued development and promotion of ONDAS, including developing and conducting workshops and group activities.
- Currently enrolled UCSB graduate students during the time of appointment with a minimum 3.0 GPA, making normal progress towards the graduate degree as outlined by Graduate Division.
- Demonstrate cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Interest in working with and assisting undergraduate students, particularly underrepresented minority student populations.
- Interest in working with low-income and first-generation college students.
- Able to work up to 50% time (up to 20 hours).
- Able to attend weekly staff meetings.
The Center is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Compensation and Title
Hourly Rates: $23 for Senior Graduate Student Assistant; $21 for Graduate Student Assistants. The payroll title for this position is Assistant.
Application Process and Requirements
Applications received by April 11 will receive priority consideration; applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
A completed application packet includes:
- Cover letter stating how you meet the criteria and how you would contribute to the mission and work of the new ONDAS Student Success Center.
- An unofficial copy of your most recent graduate transcript.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Statement of diversity and teaching philosophy: statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service as well as (if applicable) your core approach to teaching in your field.
- 2-4 references (contact information only)
Please submit your completed application in the order above scanned as a PDF and emailed with "ONDAS GRADUATE STUDENT ASSISTANT" subject line to:
Miguel Lopez, Director
For more information about the UCSB ONDAS Project, visit their website.