Top Stories

Next up in our 2023 Incoming Grad Series is Debosmita Roy, who is entering the PhD program in Earth Science. Learn about her background, how she came to study the geochemistry of rocks, and some fun facts about her--including her love of sketching!

By Adrienne Tsikewa, Graduate Programming Assistant
Monday, September 18th, 2023 - 10:33am

The 2023 Incoming Grad Series continues, featuring backstories and fun facts about 8 students who are part of the entering class at UCSB.

Debosmita Roy is entering the PhD program in Earth Science. Raised in Kolkata, India, Debosmita earned her Bachelor's degree from the University of Calcutta in Geology. Read on to learn more about her background, her research on the geochemistry of rocks, and some fun facts--including her love of sketching!

THE STORY

I am from Kolkata, West Bengal, India. I completed my Bachelor's in Geology from University of Calcutta and Master's in Applied Geology from IIT (ISM), Dhanbad. I will be joining the Department of Earth Science at UCSB for my PhD in Geochemistry.

I grew up in the city of Kolkata, located in the north-eastern part of India. I am a third-generation descendant of the Bangladeshi refugees, who immigrated to Kolkata during the Partition of Bengal in 1947, after India's Independence. I've grown up listening to stories of the long and lonely struggle faced by my ancestors who had been separated from their families, with their lives and possessions completely stripped away, forced to migrate to a foreign land with no resources in hand. Their persistence, hard work and zeal for survival in the times of extreme political instability, famine and riots, established their influence into this new land's society and commerce. Knowing the history of my lineage gives me immense strength to fight through difficult situations that I have encountered in my own life.

I grew up as a quiet, introverted child with an inclination for science and arts. However, taking up geology for my undergrad is a decision heavily attributed to my love for nature and travelling! After my Bachelors in Kolkata, I acquired a MSc.Tech degree from Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad. It was during this time that I realized my passion for research during a summer internship program at National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (NCPOR), Goa. After my Master's, I got the opportunity of learning about India's diverse geology while working for Geological Survey of India for four years, before quitting to pursue my PhD in UCSB. I truly believe that during this time period, I witnessed the raw essence of India's beauty and culture, traveling through some of the most obscure and interior parts of the country for fieldwork.

WHY UCSB

Since I showed a keen interest in Geochemistry and Petrology during my Master's degree, I have always known that these are the subjects I would like to work on during my PhD. I found Dr. Jackson's research interests heavily coincided with mine and immediately after discussing the research opportunities with him, I was decided on applying for the program as it was a perfect fit! The location, climate and beauty of the campus and Santa Barbara is definitely an add-on to my preference
for UCSB. Every person I met from the Department online has been extremely supportive and friendly, and I believe I belong into a warm and inclusive community of scientists such as this one. Also, I've always wanted to live by the ocean, so it's dream-come-true for me.

RESEARCH INTERESTS

My research interests include geochemistry, petrology and structural geology. While working at Geological Survey of India I have carried out geological mapping, geochemical characterisation and shear zone characterisation for the Mahakoshal Group of Rocks (in Central Indian Tectonic Zone). I've also worked on the geochemistry for Sidhi Gneissic Complex, which occurs as TTG-suite representing a slice of the Archean basement rocks. For my PhD I will be focusing on the
geochemistry of rocks generated by Tonga-Lau subduction slab- Samoan plume interactions. For my field work I will get to visit the Samoan island of Apia!

FUN FACTS

I have been drawing and illustrating as a hobby since I was a child. Sketching human figures is my forte! I love swimming and reading books in my free time. Very recently I've started writing and delving into the human psychology as an effort to understand my own self better. I have also taken up the practice of yoga to better understand the mind and body connection and to learn to focus within. This experience has been nothing short of a big awakening for me, bringing in vast amount of awareness, gratitude and peace. I also enjoy travelling, exploring new places and experiencing different types of food.

Welcome, Debosmita!

Be sure to subscribe to the GradPost and check back each day until the start of classes for the continuation of our Incoming Grad Series.